Monday, November 12, 2012

Sparkly sleeves

Every girl needs a little bling in her life!  So the other day I was shopping and everywhere I looked in the little girl area was this sequiney material. They had it as vests, skirts, sleeves, everything!  I already have a ton of this material in almost every color so I thought I'd see what I can recreate.
So it's the beginning of November, and I usually by now am all done with Christmas shopping. Or pretty dang close to being done with it. However, Sigh.... this year I have almost nothing :(  So to say I'm a little stressed out about it is an understatement.)
A couple of weeks ago I was at Wal-mart and they were selling all there clearance stuff for $1. I grabbed a ton of basic t-shirt knowing that I could do something to spruce them up at some point. And they have been waiting in my sewing room ever since. Knowing how much my 7 year old loves the sequin look. I decided I'm going to try and recreate that style and put it away for Christmas. I decided to start with what in my opinion would be the simplest upcycle, which is the sparkle sleeve.

 Step one: Cut off the sleeves just on the inside of the existing seam

 Step 2: Use the sleeve you just cut as your pattern. Lay it on top of the material you want to use and cut it out. So you will end up with 4 sleeves total. 2 sparkly ones and the 2 that you cut off.

Step 3:  Lay the sparkly sleeve on top of the t-shirt sleeve pin all the way around and sew all the way around.  Now you will only have 2 sleeves.

Step 4:  Reattach the sleeves to the t-shirt.  with the right sides together, Pin the sleeves back on the t-shirt. Sew all the way around, and your done!





 In this one I decided to add a pocket. I simply cut out a similar shape to the tiny pocket the shirt already had, folded under the edges pinned it to the shirt and sewed it on.
Grey with purple is always fun!


Next I'm going to try and recreate the attached vest.  I'll let you know how that goes!

3 shirts ready to be wrapped up for Christmas! Makes me feel a little better :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!!