Friday, October 12, 2012

Lengthening a dress or skirt

I saw this beautiful dress at Piperlime.com.

Cute
Isn't it so fun and flirty. However, it is no longer in stock :(.  The more I stared at it and salivated. I realized I have a too short navy blue dress that I  was using occasionally as a swimsuit coverup. Maybe I could find some fun light blue fabric to add to the bottom and not only make it wearable again but have a fun dress that is similar to this.  

My dress isn't as formal. It's actually alot different. It is made of cotton, is button down and has cap sleeves. However, it's a lot more mom friendly and it's COTTON!! So it's perfect for running errands and doing day to day mom stuff. But the navy blue and color blocking reminded me of it so I thought I might as well see what I could do.  I LOVE the result!  

All I did is put the dress on and measured how long I wanted it to be.
I swear it's not dirty. This picture makes it look dirty. I promise I wash my clothes :)

I then measured around the hem line of the dress to see how much fabric I wanted to add.
I ran to the fabric store and grabbed some light blue cotton fabric.

I folded it in half so that both of the raw edges where together and laid my blue dress over the top.

I then grabbed my marking pencil and measuring tape and measured the length of the skirt marking all the way down the side edge of the fabric so that the flair was natural.
 Cut along your markings.
Then sew the light blue section on both sides so you have a large tube.

Fold it back in half length wise.
Then, with my dress right side out pin the material still folded with right sides together all along the bottom edge.

 Sew all along the bottom of the dress attaching the new piece all the way around.

Fold the blue section out so it's flat and iron it down.
Such bad lighting. Again I swear it's really clean :)

Perfectly simple, color blocked dress. Doesn't it seem like a completely new dress. And I probably wear it WAY too often!! :)

  LOVE IT!

2 comments:

  1. What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've
    found Ιt positіνеly usеful anԁ it has helpeԁ me out lоаds.
    I hoρe to contгibute & aіd other users likе itѕ аided me.
    Gooԁ job.

    Αlso visit my blog рost ... bauchmuskeltraining

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiyа! I knoω thіs is kinԁa
    off topic howevеr , Ι'd figured I'ԁ аѕκ.
    Woulԁ you be interested in ехchanging links or maybe guest authοring a blοg article or vice-ѵеrsa?
    Μy ѕitе ԁiscuѕѕеs a lοt of
    the sаmе tоpics as yοurѕ аnd І bеlieνe we cοuld greatlу benefit from eaсh other.
    If yοu happеn tо be interested feel fгee
    to send me аn e-mail. I look forωard tο heаring fгom you!
    Wondeгful blog by the wаy!

    Ηave а loοκ at my wеb-site Bauchmuskeltraining

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!