Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hemming Jeans

Do you do pinterest? There are tons of awesome sewing ideas.... and some not so awesome. Sometimes its hard to differentiate between the two. I have made the mistake of using certain tutorials that weren't the best. But, for every one idea that didn't work there are 10 awesome ones that worked great! So I am going to talk about a couple different tutorials on hemming jeans. I'll show you my favorite and the pro's and cons of the different ideas in my own personal opinion.

1st

Although this method is fairly complicated and honestly took me almost 2 hours. Even though it took a long time it honestly wasn't hard. Just time consuming. So turn on your favorite show and sit on the couch with your un-picker and get started. It by far looks the best. I had no problem with fraying and it honestly looks exactly like the original hem.... because it kinda sorta is.   Her tutorial is amazing so if you are very picky about the hem and making sure it looks professional then you can find her tutorial here.
2nd
Although this method is much quicker to get done there were a few things about it that I didn't like. It was fast and got the job done in like 15 minutes. But after washing the jeans a few times the hem wanted to roll up exposing the fraying side underneath. And jeans tend to fray.... alot. It annoyed me that there were so many strings and that no matter what tips I followed the hem just kept rolling up. Which was annoying. I did end up undoing it and following the tutorial from the pretty poppy. I am just a little picky.  But if you want to hem maybe kids jeans with a hem that could potentially be undone to make the jeans longer as the child grows then this is the way to go. Just don't cut off the excess. Leave it so you can unpick it when your child needs the added length. She has a great tutorial here.
So both are good for different reasons. If you are more picky and get bugged about strings or the hem rolling up then go with the first option. If you are not worried about it or its maybe for kids go with the 2nd option. Hope this helps!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you tried the different ways so I don't have to! Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you tried the different ways! I'm 5'9" and don't usually need to hem!...but how handy if I ever do;)

    http://sewscissorhappy.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!