Monday, October 15, 2012

20 minute T-shirt dress

My 2nd grader needed something orange for Bully prevention day last week. So we ran to the store and found absolutely nothing.  So of course she was like "Mom, lets make something." We looked in the fabric section at Wal-mart but found very little. It was getting late and I didn't want to be up all night sewing and I wanted to get the kids home to bed so as we were walking out she spotted a bright orange 3XL shirt on clearance for $1. Ya, it was pretty much huge!! But we grabbed it anyway in the hopes of creating something that would work.  When we got home I set the kitchen timer for 20 minutes (that's how long she is supposed to read each night) Grabbed a book for her to read to me while I sewed and got started.

I was in a huge hurry so didn't have a chance to take before pictures. Not only that, but I wasn't entirely sure that it was all going to work out. However, I grabbed a white t-shirt that I set aside because it had a stain on the bottom of it. 

I just cut across the bottom where the stain was on the white t-shirt in a straight line.  

Next I grabbed the huge orange shirt and cut straight across from armpit to armpit. So I ended off having 2 pieces of the orange shirt, a top with a neck and sleeves that I threw away and a bottom that was a large tube. The bottom part ended up being my skirt and the top I threw away. 

Next, I basted across the newly raw edge on the Large orange tube and cinched it up. 

Once I had a size that was the same size around as the t-shirt I flipped it up so that the t-shirt and skirt portion were right sides together and pinned it on. I matched up the side seams and then attached it all the way around. Then just sew it together.

Now you have your dress.  So Fun and simple. 

I decided to add a ribbon which I just sewed on the front part of the dress, and let it hang loose in the back so that we could tie it for a fun bow. 

I was snipping off the remaining strings when the 20 minute timer went off ;)
She was so excited about the result. And I was happy that she had something cute and orange to wear for bully prevention day at school.
Doesn't get any easier then that! I'll do it again with more pictures sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!!