Monday, December 3, 2012

Mens Polo shirt to Adorable Santa Dress

 My husband was throwing out a pile of clothes and I had to snag this red polo knowing I could make something fabulous out of it.  I've seen some cute Santa dresses floating around but there was always something missing. So, I decided to make my own. (Ignore the blurry pictures my camera is not working great today.)

         I decided to make a basic pillowcase dress. I cut the shirt straight across from under the buttons to the armpits. I laid a dress that fit well over the shirt to get the basic shape I needed and cut it out. I cut some basic sleeves to add on and sewed it together.  

Sew down both sides of the dress leaving space for the sleeves. Next attach the sleeves and hem them.  Fold the neck and top edge of the sleeves down 1/2 an inch and sew all the way around leaving a small gap. thread 1/4 elastic thru the fold. I just eyeballed it making sure that wasn't too tight. sew the ends of the elastic together and then sew up the hole. Next I found some fun white faux fur and just cut a strip out and sewed it to the bottom of the dress.  I had a black sash left over from an old project and just sewed it around the middle of the dress.  Next I used gold fabric paint and just painted on a buckle. If you don't have an old shirt you could do the exact same thing with fabric. 

My oldest daughter has already requested a green elf one so I'll post pictures of that one once I get time to make it ;). Feel free to comment if you have any questions.  
So fun for Christmas!! 


If you would rather just purchase one I can custom make one for your little cutie.  They are now available in my etsy store for $25 on sale this week for $15 here or you can just order one directly from me.


1 comment:

  1. These dresses are even cuter in person! Great idea, Monique, and excellent execution.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!!