Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Throw Pillows

 A neighbor friend of mine asked me to make her some throw pillows for her new couch. I was so flattered that she asked me and hope that she doesn't mind me sharing her gorgeous pillows on my blog :) 

 These are the pillows that she had on her previous couch and didn't want them anymore but wanted her new pillows to be the same size.  She wanted a fun pattern for her couch so I had her go ahead and pick up fabric that she liked and that matched the color scheme that she was going for and she brought me this fun bright flowered material.  If you want to make Throw pillows like this one we used 1/2 yard per pillow.  All I did was cut down one side of her existing pillow and pull out the stuffing so we could reuse it in the new pillows.  Next I simply laid it over the new fabric (the new fabric was folded in half or doubled) and traced around it. Make sure you allow for seam allowance.


 In this case she wanted to have a zipper on the one side so the cover could be pulled off and washed if necessary so I left about and inch and a quarter on the side that I wanted to add the zipper to. The next thing I did was add the zipper to the one side then stitch all the way around on the wrong side of the fabric attaching the 2 pieces to each other. I added a zig zag stitch all the way around (except for the side with the zipper) for added support and less fraying. Next I just unzipped the zipper and pulled the fabric thru so it was right side out. Next add the pillow insert or the stuffing if that is what you are using. zip it up and your done.  So cute and fun! Can you believe how crazy expensive throw pillows can be? Now you can just make your own.  Save money and get the perfect type of fabric for your couch! Love it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!!